peg's day

Although today is Mother's Day for everyone else, we Angels like to keep others on their toes. Therefore, we're celebrating Mother's Day a day late - in order to accommodate more siblings (sorry, Richard).

Since the celebration itself hasn't yet happened, I'd still like to take today to share just how awesome our Peggy is.

I distinctly remember this weekend last year because she and I went to an Illinois Wesleyan/North Central baseball game (the whole "can't let go of college baseball" strikes hard and fast sometimes). One of the guys on IWU (read: Ricky's former teammate) was in a major slump. Just hitting absolutely nothing. And as a senior, that's no way to go out.

During the game (the day before Mother's Day), said player ripped a grand slam. His facial expression was priceless. Slump be gone.

Being the mom that Peg is, she recognized what it meant to come out of a rough hitting patch and before I knew it, she wasn't sitting beside me anymore.

Others in the stands asked the same question I did: "Where'd Peg go?"

I glanced around when suddenly, I saw her scurrying behind the left field fence. Immediately, I knew what she was doing and tears sprung in my eyes.

She was going to recover the grand slam ball and give it back to the hitter so he could remember that slumps are always temporary.

That's our Peggy in a nutshell: doing the little things with quiet class.

I could share every story of every little thing she's done, but I don't want to max out the Internet.

She's the best role model a girl could ask for and when people tell me that I'm like her, "thank you" doesn't even begin to cover it.

So happy Mom's day, Mom. Thanks for still giving me love presents even though I'm 27.


"'You know,' she said, 'even if she weren't my mom,
I would go out of my way to be friends with her.'"

Comments

Unknown said…
You are a very deserving daughter of this wonderful woman! Nice story....even nicer is your love of mom! :)
Jan said…
"Honor your father and your mother. Then you will live a long life in the land the Lord your God is giving you." Exodus 20:12

What a precious and special honoring of your mother! Loved reading your post. Love YOU! XO
Anonymous said…
Made me cry. Love Peggy. Cannot wait to see you guys soon! Crossing my fingers for July!

Popular Posts