the new year.

I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. 

Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. 

You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're doing something.

So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make new mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.

Whatever it is you're scared of doing, do it.

Make your mistakes, next year and forever.
Neil Gaiman

When the new year starts, it's only appropriate to revisit the past year and reflect:  
   What did we do right?  
      What are we most proud of?
         What could we have done better? 

Now, I know what you're thinking: did 2013 make Kerri super reflective and even sappier than before? Short answer: nah - at least I don't think so. This will only last a couple more days so I figured I should take advantage.

But in all seriousness, why is it that the new year brings out the most thoughtful of thoughts and thinking about the past? Although I'm not a fan of New Year's Eve as an event, I am a fan of what it stands for.

I'd say the 2012 word of the year for yours truly was CHANGE.

In a nutshell:
  • Ricky moved from Denver to Chicago to start a new gig (hells yes!)
  • Mark decided on his post-graduation life and accepted a job offer in Charlotte (what other child would have their employment secured before Christmas break? sheesh.)
  • I felt left out and found a new job too (wahoo!)
  • Parents decided to leave Glen Ellyn and "right size" to the cutest townhouse in Elmhurst (genius)
  • I met a certain someone who's been showing me new things left and right (lucky)
  • Friends are having babies and growing babies (bringing love to a new level)

Let 2013 be a year you continue to adapt and be better. Never underestimate the power of a kind word and showing people you care. I mean, who are we kidding? Everyone can use a little more kindness in their lives.

The word of 2013 I aiming for?

JOY.

Feel free to follow suit!
image credit

Comments

Popular Posts