a newfound love of free books.

Growing up, I always had a library card and always had a new book on my radar. Nancy Drew series anyone?

Our Glen Ellyn library had - in my opinion - the best summer reading program. I can't recall the actual details but it went something like this:
1) Read and document x amount of books. You had to write the title and author down in their cool colorful brochure.
2) Bring said brochure into the library and the librarian would put stamps next to each book. There were tiers set up and with each tier reached, you got a prize.

I also seem to recall a "mystery box" where you couldn't see what was inside, but you put your hand in and if you could correctly identify the object, you won...again, details escape me. The library was an exciting place, you guys.

Flash forward to 2014 and little 10 year old Kerri, all excited about the library, is back.

I stumbled upon a Chicago Public Library branch about a half mile from my condo about a month ago and I've already flown through four books. Four books in a month? I can't remember the last time I did that. To be fair, it's more like 3 and a quarter because one of the books I deemed dumb and not worthy of my reading time.

Needless to say, the point of this post is the library is one of the few things that's FREE in this world. Take advantage of it. Find a book out of your comfort zone. The glorious thing is if you don't like it, return it and find another. So many options. On that note, any recommendations? I'm jones-ing for some more free books with the upcoming holiday break. Do share!

image credit
Moral of the story: 
The library is a cool place to check out (ha - library pun!)

Comments

Popular Posts