Friday, August 12, 2011

if you had one shot...or one opportunity

to seize everything you ever wanted...
would you capture it
or just let it slip?

Easy question, Eminem. We'd capture it - in person and on film. After many years of waiting, I finally checked another item off my bucket list: see boy genius rap live. Since you're reading this, you probably know I'm about as white girl as they come. Somewhere along the middle America lines, I fell for Eminem and I fell hard. Easily one of the best lyrical geniuses out there, I quickly grew obsessed with him and all things Marshall Mathers.

Whilst a senior at good ol' DePauw, I even convinced my professor I could write my senior thesis on Eminem: comparing his three personas (Eminem, Marshall Mathers and Slim Shady), toss in a bit of rhetoric and some lyrical analysis and bam! One solid senior thesis that was a blast to work on.

Last Saturday at Lollapalooza marked the first time I'd ever get to see him live...and it's taken a week for it all to soak in. I still think: did that really happen? 90 whole minutes of pure bliss? He played everything I could have wanted and left me speechless. I turned into "that girl" and hollered my head off along with other white people in the crowd. I didn't care that I could barely keep up - rapping one out of every ten words because he's just that good.

I wish we could go back and do it all over again. But for now, these videos will have to do. I was just losing myself in the moment like he told us too!

The Way I Am:


His encore? Lose Yourself. And lose it - I sure did:

*Due to the size of "Lose Yourself," I had to downsize the resolution.
 
I keep replaying these videos and can't decide if I should ever go see him again live because it truly couldn't possibly top the last experience.

No comments: