if you had one shot...or one opportunity

to seize everything you ever wanted...
would you capture it
or just let it slip?

Easy question, Eminem. We'd capture it - in person and on film. After many years of waiting, I finally checked another item off my bucket list: see boy genius rap live. Since you're reading this, you probably know I'm about as white girl as they come. Somewhere along the middle America lines, I fell for Eminem and I fell hard. Easily one of the best lyrical geniuses out there, I quickly grew obsessed with him and all things Marshall Mathers.

Whilst a senior at good ol' DePauw, I even convinced my professor I could write my senior thesis on Eminem: comparing his three personas (Eminem, Marshall Mathers and Slim Shady), toss in a bit of rhetoric and some lyrical analysis and bam! One solid senior thesis that was a blast to work on.

Last Saturday at Lollapalooza marked the first time I'd ever get to see him live...and it's taken a week for it all to soak in. I still think: did that really happen? 90 whole minutes of pure bliss? He played everything I could have wanted and left me speechless. I turned into "that girl" and hollered my head off along with other white people in the crowd. I didn't care that I could barely keep up - rapping one out of every ten words because he's just that good.

I wish we could go back and do it all over again. But for now, these videos will have to do. I was just losing myself in the moment like he told us too!

The Way I Am:


His encore? Lose Yourself. And lose it - I sure did:

*Due to the size of "Lose Yourself," I had to downsize the resolution.
 
I keep replaying these videos and can't decide if I should ever go see him again live because it truly couldn't possibly top the last experience.

Comments

Popular Posts