you're my boy, blue apron

During girls' weekend #2 on the Cape in the beginning of October, one of the ladies mentioned how much she loved Blue Apron and how much more enjoyable cooking was.

Now - if you know me, you know the words enjoyable and cooking never go in the same sentence. That said, I decided it was fate when I was reading one of my favorite blogs and she was offering $20 off to the first 100 readers to sign up for Blue Apron.

I caved.

I was nervous.

I'm renown in my family for failed cooking attempts - anything from scrambled eggs (which I've since mastered thankyouverymuch) to not plugging the crock pot in with all the ingredients inside.

My first Blue Apron delivery arrived the last week of October and it was intimidating. I was lifting things I'd never seen before out of said package . Thank goodness for recipes with pictures. AmIright?

Meal #1: Pear and Brie Grilled Cheese 
with brussel sprout, argula and hazelnut salad

Luckily Marky was in town for this and able to give an extra helping hand (plus an extra pot of honey? What? Yes, it's true). This was the least intimidating recipe to me because well, it's grilled cheese. But guys, this one was legit. 

The dressing for the salad was delightful. Let me bring you back to the helpful pot of honey. Blue Apron does an impressive packaging job; however, the little bag containing the honey had unfortunately broken open in transport and spilled pretty much everywhere. Which put us in a sticky situation (oh yes, I did). I was sad to not be able to make the true homemade dressing.

Ready to turn to the trusty ol' ranch dressing, my random brother declared "oh I have honey in my bag!" And by golly, that boy sure did. Talk about meant to be(e).

Meal consensus: Absolutely delicious. Wanted to lick my plate.


Meal #2: Spicy Fregola Sarda
with soft-boiled eggs, fennel & kale


Feeling confident from the success of meal #1, I concocted meal #2 on my own. I had zero clue what the second two words of the recipe were and I don't do "spicy". Being the wise woman I am, I simply left the red pepper flakes out of this puppy and holy cow, was it delicious!

Who knew that fregola is a type of pasta? Certainly not I! This dish is filled with tons of veggies and vegetarian-friendly. It did take me forever and a day to chop everything up so if I venture to make this again, I'll have an extra set of hands. I also see this working with pretty much any kind of pasta, which is great because do they even sell fregola in regular grocery stores? I do not know.

Meal consensus: really flavorful but so.much.chopping.

Meal #3: Delicata Squash Red Curry
with black rice & thai basil

Sadly I waited to long to make this and the greens were no longer useable. But in my mind, two outta three meals ain't bad!

Overall Blue Apron consensus: TRY IT. It's affordable when you consider you get exactly the right amount of ingredients and you're eating delicious, fresh food. Plus I kid you not when I say: if I can do it, you most definitely can - says the girl who didn't know what fennel looked like.

Comments

Popular Posts