this one's for santo.

Chicago Cubs' games broadcasted on WGN Radio will never be the same. We lost the voice of the Cubs when we lost Ron Santo.

Ron Santo lived a vivacious life and addressed the Cubs' ups and down in a classy, humorous manner. He was honest and it took you just a second to realize his life and soul was the Cubs.

Image credit

In the summer of 2005, I had the pleasure of seeing him in person during an internship stint with Comcast SportsNet. It was a brief moment of passing in the press cafeteria at the Friendly Confines. For once, I was starstruck. I wasn't able to meet him, but I felt his presence as I was clutching my overpriced turkey sandwich and Diet Coke.

His colorful commentary of our beloved Cubbies will never be forgotten. And as Ricky says, "Maybe he can persuade God into throwing the Cubs a bone."

I'd like to think Santo's Christmas Wish List looks a little something like this:

1. Stay consistent.
2. Win the division.
3. Win the pennant.
4. Win the freaking World Series already.

Here's hoping because as always, there's always next year. Only this time, we've got #10 cheering from way up above.

Image credit

Comments

Popular Posts