Living Stronger.

So today's started out pretty...well, just not good. You know, one of those days. They happen to everyone and it would be easy to dwell and sit back and let the bad day take over. But then I peaked into my gmail inbox and realized I need to chill and appreciate and laugh at the "bad" things because nothing is ever as bad as it seems.

From: Jimmy Fowkes
Subject: A Note from Jimmy Fowkes
To: "Joe and Peggy Angel"
Date: Sunday, February 22, 2009, 3:42 PM

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Angel:

Thank you for supporting my LIVESTRONG Challenge campaign last year. Your generosity means a lot to me and all the people who benefit from the work of the Lance Armstrong Foundation (LAF). Because of your support, Molly and I raised over $44,000 (the most we’ve ever raised)! We were both honored to have over 240 people join our team last year.

I had my latest MRI scan last week, and it’s clear! Currently, there is no evidence of cancer in my head. Right now I’m in the middle of my junior year of high school. I’m currently taking six classes: Junior English, Junior History, Advanced Algebra, Spanish 4, Art 1, and Film Studies. I have also been prepping for the SAT and getting ready to apply to colleges. Some of my top choices are: Stanford, UCLA, UC Santa Barbara and UC Santa Cruz.


On top of all that, I have also been taking driver’s ed. After I’m done, I’ll be able to take my test and get my license (so for everyone near Portland, watch out, ‘cause Jimmy Fowkes is out on the road!).

This year, Molly and I are hoping to raise $50,000 for LIVESTRONG Challenge and the LAF . Now that my intense treatment is done (I’m still on low-dose oral chem
otherapy), I’m planning to get back on the bike and ride the 45-miler with Molly and my dad at the 2009 LIVESTRONG Challenge, which will be in Seattle on June 21st.

I am very proud to be entering my fourth year of fundraising for the LAF. It’s a privilege to work with such a great organization. I have also been thinking about why I have been doing the LIVESTRONG Challenge every year. Cancer is not just a national but a global priority. Thousands lose their lives every day to cancer. In the last four years, over thirty m
illion people have died from cancer worldwide. That is roughly equivalent to the population of California. Imagine everyone in California – men, women and children – dying from a disease. It is now more important than ever that we push for a cure for cancer.

Like Lance, I believe that unity is strength, knowledge is power, and attitude is everything. Thank you again for your support. Molly and I hope that you will join us again in 2009, as we are very proud to have you on our team. To donate to our 2009 LIVESTRO
NG Challenge campaign, go to:

http://seattle09.livestrong.org/jimmy

LIVESTRONG!

Jimmy Fowkes

(Molly, Jimmy and ol' Willie in Austin last October)

Comments

Popular Posts